Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Call For Help

I just read this article in yesterday's paper about a new organization called C-U at Home.  Earlier this year, the coordinator, Melany Jackson, and many volunteers surveyed Champaign County to find out what the population of the homeless was.  I found the answer pretty shocking - over 500.  Of those, about 100 are considered "most vulnerable.  The good news is that the survey showed most of these people had access to shelters, but 16 "street" people are in desperate need of finding a place to stay.

You can read the whole article "Call goes forth for help from community".  The director is looking for 16 churches to each "adopt" one of these desperate people.  I'll be talking to my pastor today about this - I hope he's not going to weary of my "ideas" :)

Website:  www.cuathome.us
Contact:  Melany Jackson 217-819-4569


No comments:

Post a Comment